Saturday, April 5, 2008

Do we really know what we are doing?

Do we really know what we are doing?

A few Sundays ago I was distributing communion (for lack of Eucharistic ministers) and as I gave others Jesus, I started to observe that most of the "Catholics" didn't have a clue what they were doing. I had people come up with one hand out, fingers laced, not laced, hands all dirty, practically dropping Jesus and then not say a word, shoving Jesus in their mouths, and storming off. It was a rather humbling, and upsetting experience.

I know I'm not the first or the last person to observe or point out that even the Catholics who come to Mass every Sunday do not really know what they are doing when they walk up to the foot of the altar. It is just an empty motion, with no meaning for them. It is "just what we do". I know one cannot grasp completely the fact that that is one hundred percent Jesus' Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity that is being placed inside of me, but this doesn't mean that we shouldn't believe it with all of our soul and humanity (for they intertwine); it means that we should strive for that day when we do know what is actually going on, and to, in the meantime, give homage and respect. Now, I'm not saying that I am here to preach, I'm NOT, I wanted to bring this to your attention, and to remind myself for I too have blown off the Eucharist and forget what I am actually witnessing.

Personally I love the idea of receiving on your tongue and knees. My dad uses the expression that it is as if we are the baby birds and are being fed. I love this quote because it puts together this whole idea of "the little birds who don't know whats going on, but try to learn and are being fed, to have some food put in their stomachs so that they may live". It puts a distance between God and ourselves, and gives God the reverence He deserves. I believe this is a wonderful way to humble ourselves to our God, yet God wants us to consume Him. We just need to know that we are in a state of Grace, and that means making sure to go to confession before receiving.

Frankly, when I really stop to think about what I am actually eating and seeing before me (yet others still say we have no proof of God--hello! what do you think that white thing in the tabernacle is!?) I want to drop to my stomach and pray. I'm sure you reading this feel the same. Yet, then I think, God wants me to have Him, and wants to be with me. So I should not feel like hiding or crawling on the ground before Him. But, this does NOT mean that we should just blow off the Mass and what is happening in the Mass. There is a fine line between the two, and we should constantly be monitoring ourselves.

4 comments:

Jason said...

i agree
most of the congregation has no idea what they are doing or are recieving
its ok to not understand what is going on i dont even understand everything that is going on
i just wish some people would put forth more of an effort to understand

Joe of St. Thérèse said...

Agreed with you! If only people took the time to learn.

Excellent blog so far from what I'm reading.

May God bless you in your work

Joe of St. Thérèse

Domini Canis said...

We have such a problem with humility-- I am starting to believe that pride is the root of all evil. We have decided that we are "above" being fed, bowing down, lifting up, hiding our face, dressing up, and closing our mouths. There is an incredible dichotomy about "human dignity". We think we are maintaining our dignity by not kneeling before the Blessed Sacrament, or by receiving in the hand, but we think nothing of the dignity of human life when we kill babies, the infirmed or the elderly. When people begin to realize this, the world will tip.

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,酒店,