Saturday, January 3, 2009

The True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin



"The True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin is one of the greatest and most celebrated books ever written about Our Lady. Praised by popes, mystics, and theologians, this profound and powerful book presents Mary as the essential and infallible key to the heart of Jesus."

I just discovered this book by, well, actually, a reader suggested this to me on a previous post. So I told my mom, and she got it for me for Christmas. I just started reading it today, and I can't put the thing down! It's incredible! What I'm at right now, is the idea of why most popes become so attached to our blessed mother (not only, or all popes). That she is the closest and most immediate human intercessor to our Lord. (besides Jesus- but he's God) St. Augustine said "The world is not worthy to receive the Son of God directly from the hands of The Father, so He gave Him to Mary, so that the world might receive Him through Her." Most popes are drawn to Mary because they are The Vicar(s) of Christ, and in being so, they have to (end up) follow through Mary's footsteps and actions of faith in being the closest mediator to God. Never thought about that before. Now I get why popes feel such a connection to our mother. Along with other reasons.


Anyways- The book is written by St. Louis-Marie De Montfort. Who is a French priest and Catholic saint, born in Montfort-sur-Meu. He was ordained to the priesthood in Paris, and died at Saint-Laurent-sur-Sèvre on 28 April 1716. He was known as an author in his time, whose books are widely read, even to the present day.


Here's a statue of St. Montfort




I strongly recomend this book to all! Go get it!!