Sunday, March 29, 2009

Passiontide


Christ became, for our sake, obedient unto death,
even death on a Cross.
Philippians 2:8

Passiontide Sunday/Passion Sunday/Holy Week

One will notice, during this fifth Sunday of Lent, a shift has occurred. When we listen to the readings and pray the Church's prayers for today we see right away that our attention is now directed much more towards the Lord’s Passion. This shift was much clearer in the old calender. Traditionally, statues and sacred images are veiled in violet starting today. Even though this custom has become rare, due to the option being left up to local priests, these last two weeks of Lent still invite us to begin a more intense reflection on the Passion of our Lord.


Soul of Christ, sanctify me,body of Christ, save me,blood of Christ, inebriate me,water from the side of Christ, wash me.Passion of Christ, strengthen me.O good Jesus, hear me:hide me within your wounds and never let me be separated from you.From the wicked enemy defend me,in the hour of my death, call me and bid me come to you,so that with your saints I may praise you for ever and ever. Amen.