Saturday, April 25, 2009

Our obligation...

Being a 15 year old high school student, I am surrounded by drama and gossip. Normally I try to avoid these situations/conversations and block them out, or simply walk away. But lately I've been reminded that this is not what we as Christians are called to do.

We all have an obligation to stop the rumors and gossip. Not to just walk away, or ignore it. Who are we to judge those person's personal lives and actions? We aren't God! We have no right to judge others. We wouldn't want to be judged ourselves if gossip were to be spread about us, would we?

If I encounter this, I need to remember to say, "I don't participate in gossip." Then I should leave if people continue. People will quickly learn not to do it around me or to not try to draw information out of me. I know I will constantly fight the devil on this. That's really what that is, the devil trying to drag us down in ways that do or do not look like a trap, or a "bad situation."

The Catechism states that;

"2492: Everyone should observe an appropriate reserve concerning persons’ private lives. Those in charge of communications should maintain a fair balance between the requirements of the common good and respect for individual rights."

"Do not speak evil against one another, brothers and sisters. Whoever speaks evil against another or judges another, speaks evil against the law and judges the law; but if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. There is one lawgiver and judge who is able to save and to destroy. So who, then, are you to judge your neighbour?” (James 4:11-12).

That pretty much says it all.

This is, no doubt, a HARD task/habit to break. But I am confident it can be done. With prayer and patience. Each day we should all try to break this terrible habit. If we fail, we confess it and move on. That's all we can do.

May God give us all the strength to stand up against those who spread evil against another's name. Whether it be gossip, calumny, or merely rumor. We all have an obligation to stop it.