Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Ave Verum

Today we were singing Liszt's "Ave Verum Corpus" in choir. The whole time while I was singing it I couldn't stop thinking about the pieta. The two go so well together. Thinking of things such as this, and having them actually apply to my life and religion moves me more than just singing them because they're pretty. I get to sing them in prayer, and they have real purpose and meaning for me.



Not only is Liszt's version one of my favorite choral pieces, but this prayer goes right along with it. I truly do love this prayer. There is so much "meaty" Catholic theology and glory of God's mercy and love packed into these few words. The physicality is what really gets me. Imagining Mary holding her Son, taken down from the cross, bearing the sins of the world. That is a very emotional and physical feeling for me.


Ave verum corpus, natum
de Maria Virgine,
vere passum, immolatum
in cruce pro homine,
cuius latus perforatum
fluxit aqua et sanguine
esto nobis praegustatum
in mortis examine.