Thursday, June 18, 2009

Little Flowers Girls' Club

In previous posts I've mentioned that my youngest sister is in "Little Flowers Girls," but I haven't really explained it. She has been in it for about a year, along with 5 or 6 other girls from our parish. It is run by moms of our parish and is certainly a wonderful thing for these little girls to be a part of and to help them grow in their faith.

The "Little Flowers Girls' Club" is a Catholic program for girls ages 5 and up based on learning Catholic virtues through the lives of Catholic saints, Scripture and the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Developed by a Catholic mom of eleven, Rachel Watkins, and based on Fr. Lasance's Catholic Girls' Guide, the Club strives to bring the Catholic faith alive and inspire the girls to become authentic Catholic women.

Nine virtues are included in each of three different Wreaths or years of study. A fourth year, studying the fruits of the Spirit is also available. The format of the Clubs is flexible, with groups meeting monthly, bi-monthly or weekly. Badges for the virtues are earned by studying the saint associated with the virtue, memorizing relevant scripture verses and studying the Catechism. The program is flexible enough to use with a variety of age groups.

Little Flowers Girls' Club has also been successfully implemented in the family. Sashes, vests, skirts, bandannas, t-shirts and other items are extras that add to the experience, but are not necessary to running a successful Club. The Leader's Guide for each Wreath offers suggestions for running meetings, planning crafts and activities, talks on virtues and other relevant information. The Member's Guide includes the activities, saints' biographies, pictures of the saints, and prayers for each girl.



I interviewed my sister about different aspects of being in the "Little Flowers Girls' Club."

This is what she said she liked the best about being in the club:

"Because I get to study different saints, sometimes we get to do crafts, and I have to memorize verses--I like to memorize sometimes, and sometimes I don't want to at all. Small ones (verses)are easy to memorize, but the longer ones are hard to memorize. But I do it anyway."

How the Little Flower Girls has helped her grow in faith:

"It's a club where younger girls study female saints, virtues, and earn patches when we learn all of this. It makes me better to study all of this because I know more about it, about the saints. After I learn this stuff I pray to the saints more, and it helps me to be a better person by knowing these good virtues. It helps me to be a better person."


Prayer to St. Therese of the Child Jesus--
(Said at the beginning of every meeting)

St. Therese, you who are called the little Flower, pray that I may always live as a good child of God. May I always do the little things of life extra well for the love of God. St. Therese, you loved flowers and you wanted to give to Jesus the flowers of many, many souls. Now that you are in heaven, let fall upon earth a shower of roses by your prayers. Bring many more souls to Jesus. Pray to the mother of God for us that she will smile on her children here on earth. Amen.