Saturday, August 29, 2009

Feast of St. Augustine

Yesterday was the Feast of my patron saint, St. Augustine of Hippo! No I didn't forget! I posted this late last night, but for some reason it didn't publish... So I'm re-posting it now! =D

"Lord, give me what you ask of me and ask me what you will."




May we obtain from God's mercy a true love for Jesus Christ our Lord and that He may receive the burning prayer which we offer with St. Augustine and all who truly love God today, on his feast day.

"Thou art Christ my Holy Father, my tender God, my great King, my good Shepherd, my only Master, my best Helper, my most Beautiful and Beloved, my living Bread, my Priest forever, my Leader to my country, my true Light, my holy Sweetness, my straight Way, my Excellent Wisdom, my pure Simplicity, my peaceful Harmony, my entire Protection, my good Portion, my everlasting Salvation.

Christ Jesus, sweet Lord, why have I ever loved, why in my whole like have I ever desired anything except Thee, Jesus my God? Where was I when I was not in spirit with Thee? Now, from this time forth, do ye, all my desires, grow hot, and flow out upon the Lord Jesus...

O sweet Jesus, may every good feeling that is fitted for Thy praise, love Thee, delight in Thee, admire Thee! God of my heart, and my portion, Christ Jesus, may my heart faint away in spirit, and mayest Thou be my life within me! May the live coal of Thy love grow hot within my spirit and break forth into a perfect fire; may it burn incessantly on the altar of my heart; may it glow in my innermost being; may it blaze in hidden recesses of my soul; and in the days of my consummation may I be found consummated with Thee! Amen."


Happy feast day to all those in the Augustinian family!

No comments: