Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Mystics

My dad is in the process of writing a four movement choral piece using four mystics and what they said. The piece will be in each of the mystics own language, and will have very unique styles and dynamics pertaining to the text being sung.

Here are the movements in their order (and some info. about the mystics):

I. Maria Faustina- Divine Mercy

"Jezu, Ufam Tobie"
(Jesus I trust in you)

II. John of the Cross- Noche Oscura
"En una noche oscura,
Con ansias, en amores inflamada,
!oh dichosa ventura!
Sali sin ser notada
Estanda ya mi casa sosegada.

A oscura y segura,
Por la secreta escala disfrazada,
!oh dichosa ventura!
A oscura y en celada,
Estando ya mi casa sosegada."
(One dark night,
Fired with love's urgent longings
--ah, the sheer grace!--
I went out unseen,
My house being now all stilled.
In darkness, and secure,
By the secret ladder, disguised,
--ah, the sheer grace!--
In darkness and concealment,
My house being now all stilled.")

III. Padre Pio of Pietrelcina
"Non sopporto piĆ¹ la mia croce"
(I cannot bear this cross anymore.)

IV. Venerable Solanus Casey
"We must be faithful to the present moment,
or we will frustrate the plan of God for our lives.
Blessed be God in all His designs!"


He is planing on having the Balladiers (Coldwater High School's top choral ensemble of sixteen) sing this. When we do, I will record it and post it on here for you to listen to. I will also be writing more about each of the four mystics, in relation to their writings being used, sometime in the near future.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW. That sounds absolutely amazing. What an idea!

Can't wait to hear it.

-Cathy

Catholic Teen said...

Cathy,

I wanted to let you know that I offered my Mass intention, and a rosary for both you and your baby at St. Anne's Chapel in Lawton yesturday evening.

You both are in my prayers-
Nate

Anonymous said...

Nate,

You are so kind!
It is much appreciated.
You are in my prayers as well.

:)

-C

Joe S.R. said...

Wow, it sounds exciting!
Cant' wait to hear it!