Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Carthusian Monk's Feast Day



Today is the Feast of St. Bruno, the Carthusian Monk's Patron Saint.


The Carthusian Order, also called the Order of St. Bruno, is an order of cloistered monastics. The order was founded by Saint Bruno of Cologne in 1084 and includes both monks and nuns. The order has grown all around the world, and there is even one started in the United States!

In 1984, German filmmaker Philip Gröning wrote to the Carthusian order for permission to make a documentary about them. They said they would get back to him. Sixteen years later, they were ready. Gröning lived in the monks’ quarters for six months—filming their daily prayers, tasks, rituals and rare outdoor excursions. His film about them and their daily lives is caused "Into Great Silence." I have a copy of it, and I love it. Make sure when you watch it there are no distractions around, and that you have time to devout to it, it's a little long, but worth it!!

I briefly wrote about the movie HERE.

More and more I am attracted to an intimate, and more secluded life of prayer. Probably not as a Carthusian (maybe not yet), but maybe something that shares a similar lifestyle or principles that the Carthusians have. But then the question is raised, if I'm trying to be not of the world, than how could I stand to be halfway in it, or a quarter in it? Living "in the world" is not what I'm called to do, but how much I am supposed to be out of it is something that I need to discern.




To see more pictures or read a little bit more about St. Bruno, and this order go HERE to a NLM post that will give you links to previous archives on the Carthusian Monks. Or I suggest reading "Halfway to Heaven: The Hidden Life of the Carthusians." I read it and it's amazing!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi there
funny when i found ur post, as i'm waiting to enter with the carthusians in a year or so,
so pray for me, and i for u

maranatha!

peter

ps. thats a beautiful foto of the carthusian Mass.

Catholic Teen said...

How wonderful!!

I'll be sure to pray for you.

The Carthusians are such a wonderful order- I admire them very greatly.

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.